This is a guide about cleaning Nike slides. A lot of the Nike slides on the market today don’t have a removable insole. Many of these shoes are very comfortable but can hold onto moisture and cause a rather unpleasant odor. I’ve tried spraying them with bleach, washing them with soap and water then scrubbing them with a toothbrush before putting them out in the sun to dry, but it never quite got rid of the smell. Then I found a great smelling insole and it worked like a charm!
Try this method for removing odor from your old or new Nike shoes.
- Baking Soda,
- Laundry Detergent and
- Water will remove the smell of sweat that accumulates in the shoe.
Step by Step How to Clean Nike Slides
I have tried to give an effective method to clean Nike shoes. Follow my guide gradually. Lets we start.
Step 1: Remove Insoles Remove the insoles from your shoes if they are removable.
Step 2: Prepare the Baking Soda Apply a liberal amount of baking soda to each shoe. If you have shoes with a removable insole, apply them directly to the insole. Let the shoes sit for two or three hours or overnight.
Step 3: Wash It Out & Dry It With foot inside the shoe, turn on the washing machine and let it fill with water. Then add laundry soap and turn it on again. Let the shoes sit in the water for five minutes, then drain the tub and rinse the shoes under running water.
Step 4: Dry It Out Once rinsed, insert your wet insoles into a dishwasher (empty dishwasher used only for this purpose) and let them run through a complete cycle with the door closed. If you do not have a dishwasher, air dry your insole overnight.
Step 5 : (optional) Refresh the Smell If you would like to refresh the smell of your shoes, let them air dry outside in bright sunlight.
- Best kneaded erasers reviewed
Step by Step Guide on How to Clean White Nike Slides
Following these simple steps will help you get rid of stains and dirt which makes your Nike slides look old and discolored.
1) Get a bowl filled with warm water and add in a little amount of toothpaste. You can use any flavor but it is best to use the gel type.
2) Use a Q-tip or a clean cloth and dip it in the toothpaste mixture you have prepared. Gently scrub the stains away. Ensure you don’t use too much force as this can damage your Nike slides especially if they are leather-made. If there are stubborn stains that won’t come off, let the toothpaste stay on for a few minutes and continue scrubbing.
3) After removing all the sticky dirt from your shoes, rinse them thoroughly with plain water to ensure you have removed all the toothpaste. Dry it using a clean cloth or paper towel before moving to the next step. You can also use a hairdryer to speed up this process.
4) In a small bowl mix 1 part of water and 2 parts of white shoe polish or if you have dark Nike slides use black shoe polish. Don’t add the entire bottle; just enough for it to be loosened. You can also add in a few drops of any scented oil like lavender, lemon, or orange oil.
5) Dip your brush in the mixture and gently paint over the stains on your Nike slides. Let it sit for a few minutes so that dry out completely before you use the toothbrush again to scrub it clean.
6) After removing all stains, allow a few hours for it to dry completely before using a brush to give it a shine. This will make your Nike slides look nice and shiny again.
7) To protect the color of your shoes, use this solution to sponge around it instead of using a toothbrush. Do not put too much pressure when you apply it on the shoe so that you don’t rub off the paint or dye from the material.
8) It is best to leave your shoes outside in the sun for a few hours so that it can dry quickly and keep the color of the shoe at its best. You can use a hairdryer, but ensure you don’t touch Nike slides with a hot hairdryer as this can damage them. When they are completely dry, you can put on some new laces or replace them with a new one so that it looks brand new again.
9) For white Nike slides which are made of leather, mix the mixture of water and shoe polish in a 1:1 ratio and apply this solution using a sponge instead of a brush. You will need to let it dry for a few hours before you apply the next step.
10) To give your shoe a shine, mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda in 1 cup of water and scrub it using a brush until they look shiny again. For extra whiteness and protection, add few drops of lemon oil to the mixture and allow them there for an hour before washing it off.
11) This step is optional but it will give your Nike slides that brand new look again. Use any color shoe polish you like to paint them and allow a few hours for it to dry completely before using them again.
12) To prevent the color of your shoes from fading away, use a hairdryer instead of direct sunlight to dry it. This will also help the color of your Nike slides stay for a long time.
IMPORTANT: If you are not comfortable with DIY methods of shining and cleaning, then take them to professional shoe cleaners who will give it new life again.
To get rid of the sweat and dirt from your Nike slides, rub some baking soda on the stains before wiping it with a wet cloth. This will help remove all the dirt from deep inside that cannot be seen easily. Let them dry in open air then wear them again. Also, you can use a solution of water and vinegar to clean them up. Dip a cotton ball in it and rub on the stains. Let them dry before wearing them again.